8.08.2010

Street Pianos

Obviously, I am very behind the times here. I heard about this project a few weeks ago, after it had concluded in New York. With that being said, I admire what this man is doing. I try very hard to keep my posts from being too personal, because there are very few people who would want to read about my personal life. But I want people to know why it is that I find this project--the goal of which is the sharing of music--to be so inspiring.

I've been a good pianist for quite some time now, but I've been a dismal performer until very recently. And believe me, I am still learning, and have a very long way to go. The reason for my terrible performance skills wasn't due to lack of ability. I merely did not understand the concept of engaging an audience. In my mind, there was an invisible wall between *my* person and *my* music, and the people sitting in the seats in front of me. I didn't want to share the music, because it was mine. I believed that the audience wouldn't understand anyway. Most importantly, I did not realize that it was, in fact, my job as a performer to share music with the people who were there to listen.

Eventually, I came to see that this idea of my being solitary, alone in the music, was not what I needed to continue to be happy with my chosen career. Essentially, I had a eureka moment, and came to the realization that the only way I could have long-term musical contentment was by playing *to*someone. When I play Beethoven, for example, I want the audience to feel what I am feeling when I play.

What I'm trying to say is this. It's best when someone is there to listen. And that is why I love Luke Jerram and what he's doing.

I'm fairly certain that I sound disgustingly pretentious right now. Share the music, man, and all that jazz. This is what happens when I'm feeling especially feminine and become inspired to write about feelings. So forgive me, and thank you for humoring me by reading this, if indeed you made it through to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment