8.03.2010

Chopin Nocturne Op. 72 No. 1

A friend and I were talking music last night, and this piece came up in conversation. Of course, I had to revisit the piece, and it's as wonderful as I remember. It's an appropriate piece for an empty music building at 6 am. It's lonely-sounding.

As angsty as this piece is, I really do love it. Chopin composed the piece when he was seventeen. He was like that emo kid in high school that no one likes, the one who writes really self-absorbed songs about being misunderstood, accompanied by mediocre guitar strumming. I'm convinced that Chopin was trying to convey the same emotions, but *he* actually did a good job. I'm looking at you, emo kid.

I'm shamelessly poking fun, but I really don't take this piece lightly. It's heartbreakingly beautiful. I love piano, and I love playing. But I can count on one hand the pieces I've played that have really moved me, and this is one of them. I'm a sucker for Chopin, but it's gorgeous. Listen here.

This is supposedly Chopin's first nocturne, and it's much more simple harmonically and melodically than some of his later nocturnes. Personally, I find that appealing. There's nothing to hide behind, there are very few moments of virtuosity. It's delicate and sensitive and emotional.

Enjoy.

BONUS: EMANUEL AX IS COMING TO BAYLOR. AM I EXCITED?! I AM EXCITED!

No comments:

Post a Comment