2.13.2011

Emanuel Ax

Y'all. Emanuel Ax came to Baylor. I am not joking. This is not a dream.

I had been really excited about this since I heard about it last September. A few years ago, I heard Emanuel Ax perform the second Brahms piano concerto with the Houston Symphony, and it still inspires me to this day.

He played a Schubert program, and it was wonderful (duh). I love his conservative playing. I like that when he plays Schubert, I hear Schubert, not Emanuel Ax. He doesn't let his artist's ego get in the way, like so many do (*ahem* Lang Lang).

He does this thing, y'all. He sits down to play something, and plays it as if he was born playing it. It's like he just waves his hands and--voila!--magic happens! And then he gets up and bows all bashful-like like he hasn't just played that little A Major sonata more beautifully than I've heard it played in my entire life.

This post has no point except to let you all know that I have the world's biggest pianist crush on Emanuel Ax. I am in love with him. That is all.

1 comment:

  1. I thought he had a very humble stage presence that made him more appreciative to watch. He didn't even try to get everyone to focus on his dramatic act; he tried to get the audeince to feel comfortable and relaxed just as he was.

    ReplyDelete